Sunday, August 5, 2012

Activists

These days it seems as though there is an activist group for just about everything from gay rights, guns laws, political, and the list goes on for days.  However, there is one group of individuals that really gets under my skin.  Anti-gun activists...

Coming from North Dakota, I was basically born with a gun in my hand.  By the time I was 8 years old, I already had 3 guns to my name.  Now, I could see how some people might have a problem with that, but if you teach a child how to safety and responsibly shoot a gun at a young age, that will stay with them until the day they die.

Anti-gun activists are basically trying to take gun ownership away from normal citizens. This, I have a problem with.  By no means do I think the average person should be able to own fully automatic weapons without some sort of special permit, but these people are trying to take away more than that.

I've been hunting since I was very young, since I could legally shoot and kill an animal.  Well, now this brings in a different group of activists, PETA. As far as I'm concerned, PETA can go straight to hell.  For the most part, what I use guns for is hunting.  I don't hunt just to kill animals for the hell of it.  I hunt for food.  Since I was very young I have been hunting and if I didn't hunt, that would erase at least 50 percent of the food I eat.  Although I do hunt animals I don't eat, those animals are predators of the food I do eat and predators of my family and pets.

Now, my list of guns include a BB gun, .22 rifle, paintball gun, shotgun, rifle, assault rifle, and pistol.  Are you going to try to take those all away from me?  I can tell you exactly what I use every one of those for and not one of them is used for harmful purposes.  You can argue a self-defense weapon is harmful, but if you come unwelcome into my home with intent to hurt me, my family, friends, or pets, I'm going to shoot you until I'm sure you aren't going to hurt anyone.

On the other hand, with the recent events in Aurora, Colorado, I can understand how some people would want to keep guns away from citizens.  However, you have to look at the person that was involved in this tragedy.  The guy was a mentally ill person with all the freedom in the world to buy multiple fully automatic weapons and 6000 rounds of ammunition.  The guy had issues, don't get me wrong, but he should have been red-flagged long before anything happened.  I mean really, you can't tell me his name didn't appear on some government screen with what he was buying.

To conclude this rather long rant, I have owned and been around guns my entire life and I have never shot at a person, been shot at, or been hurt in any way from a gun. If you take away guns, you're taking away my lifestyle.  Until next time, try to take my guns or my life, we'll see who comes out on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment