Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Insomnia...strikes again.

Ever since I was very young, I have always been a night owl.  Staying up at late as I want, sleeping in until the last possible second in the morning.  When I was young, I would stick my head outside the door to my room and watch whatever my older brother, Jason, was watching through a gap between the wall and our lazy-boy recliner.  Sooner or later, my mom would look downstairs and yell at me to go to bed until I would actually go to bed an hour later or so.

Fast forward to today...It's 3:52 am, I'm watching Breaking Bad on Netflix, and not a sign of sleep coming anytime soon.  After a certain age, about the time I started college, being a night owl takes on a whole new meaning.  Insomnia.  When I was younger staying up until 10 or 11 pm wasn't that big of a deal, but now, It's 5 or 6 am in the morning.  When I was a freshman in college, my roommate and I would stay up until 6 am every morning, go to class, maybe take a couple hour nap, and do it all over again.  I don't know how we ever survived, but we did.

As I near the age of 23 this summer, I'm starting to wonder how much longer my body can take this.  I mean, I can already tell I'm not as young as I used to be judging by the aching of every joint in my body from playing basketball this weekend.  However, I don't see my ways of an insomniatic slumber changing anytime soon.  I'll sleep in one day, go to bed early the next, but sooner or later I always end up right where I am now, wide awake at what is now 4:00 am.

I suppose sooner or later I will have to accept the fact it is time to grow up and get a grown up job that requires me to work 9-5 five days a week and will become one of those people that is in bed by 10 at night and awake by 7 in the morning.  Until then though, I'll keep living the college life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment